NEW YEAR'S DAY BLACK-EYED PEAS
- 1 # Bacon cut into ¼” strips
- 2 (12oz) bags frozen Black-eyed Peas
- Chicken Stock
- 2 tsp Better than Bouillon Chicken Base
- 2-½ cups Hot Water
- 1 TBS Christopher Ranch Crushed Garlic
- 6 oz chopped Collard Greens
- 1 medium Yellow Onion, chopped
- 2 TBS Olive Oil
- 1 TBS Golden Toad Prime Steak Rub
- 1 TBS Golden Toad Chipotle Pepper Sauce
- ½ tsp Smoked Sweet Spanish Paprika
- For serving
- Pepper Jack Cheese, grated
- Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- Pre-heat Oven to 350°.
- On stovetop, use a 5qt Dutch Oven to cook bacon over Medium-High heat. Cook bacon until browned but not too crispy.
- While bacon is cooking, heat up Water and Chicken Base (microwave water to a boil and stir in Chicken Base) and set aside.
- Remove Bacon from Dutch Oven and set on paper towels. Remove most of the bacon fat. I leave a little for cooking the onions.
- Add Onion and 1 TBS Olive Oil to Dutch Oven and sauté until translucent.
- Add the remaining 1 TBS Olive Oil to Onions and stir to heat up.
- Add Paprika and Garlic and stir constantly for 5-10 seconds. Do not burn these two ingredients! Stir constantly.
- Return Bacon to Dutch Oven and add the rest of the ingredients except the Pepper Jack Cheese and Cilantro. Stir together, cover, and place in oven for about 2-3 hrs until peas are cooked to your liking. Stir once or twice during cook, but avoid removing the lid too often.
- Serve topped with grated Pepper Jack Cheese and Chopped Cilantro.
Best wishes for a Happy, Healthy, Prosperous New Year!