GOLDEN TOAD'S FRENCH ONION SOUP
This is one of my favorites for cold Colorado nights! Who doesn't enjoy a nice warm savory soup? This one is sure to please. I find that caramelizing the onions in a slow cooker for 10 hours works great, and it makes the house smell great as well. Plan ahead. This soup should be started in the morning.
- 6 (2-½# to 3#) Sweet Yellow Onions sliced thinly
- 2 TBS Unsalted Butter (divided)
- 2 TBS Olive Oil (+ additional for bread)
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- 3 TBS All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Chopped Garlic (Christopher Ranch)
- ½ tsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Fresh Thyme Sprigs
- 1 Fresh Rosemary Sprig
- 8 Cups Beef Broth (8 Cups Water & 8 tsp Better than Bouillon Beef Base – heat in Microwave)
- ½ Cup Dry White Wine (Pinot Grigio)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Golden Toad Prime Steak Rub
- Fresh Cracked Black Pepper to taste
- Sherry (Fino or Manzanilla)
- 6 slices of Baguette (1” thick)
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- Chopped Flat Leaf Parsley
- Add Onions, 1 TBS Butter, Olive Oil, and Salt to your slow cooker and heat on low for 10 hours stirring occasionally.
- Start a 6qt Dutch Oven on the stove over medium heat. Add the remaining 1 TBS of Butter and Flour and stir for a few minutes to cook out the raw Flour taste.
- After Onions are caramelized, add them to your Dutch Oven.
- Add the Beef Broth slowly stirring well to incorporate.
- Add the Garlic, Brown Sugar, Thyme, Rosemary (use an herb/tea strainer ball for the herbs). Bring to a boil.
- Add the Dry White Wine, Bay Leaves, and Golden Toad Prime Steak Rub.
- Turn down heat to low and simmer for 45-60 minutes uncovered.
- Remove herb strainer.
- Season with Fresh Cracked Pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Brush the Olive Oil onto the Baguette Slices, place on baking sheet, and brown up in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Place oven safe bowls onto baking sheet.
- Add ½ tsp Sherry to each bowl.
- Ladle Soup to each bowl.
- Top Soup with a slice of toasted Baguette and a generous amount of grated Gruyere.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until cheese is melted, then turn oven to broil and broil for 1-2 minutes until the Cheese is bubbly and browned.
- Remove carefully from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped Parsley.